Sunday, January 1, 2023

 

My 2022 Sight & Sound ballot


Late Spring, Ozu, 1949 - Kids/adults grow up/old so fast, part 1.

Au Hasard Balthazar, Bresson, 1966 - The world is just hands doing stuff.

Playtime, Tati, 1967 - If you back up far enough, the chaos of the world becomes graceful. 

Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Herzog, 1972 - You can follow your philosophies and ambitions to their end, but it only ends in a raft-full of monkeys.

Apocalypse Now, Coppola, 1979 - I like my emotions like I like my women: huge, spectacular and confused.  

My Neighbor Totoro, Miyazaki, 1988 - The quiet, innocent, simple moments of life are magical, powerful, and more than enough.

Mulholland Drive, Lynch, 2001 - What will you do to avoid thinking about something you regret? 

There Will Be Blood, Anderson, 2007 - Anger and self, flowing from the core of the earth, shooting into the air, and lying in a thin layer over everything and everyone. 

Silent Light, Reygadas, 2007 - Rapturous beauty, literally.

Boyhood, Linklater, 2015 - Kids/adults grow up/old so fast, part 2.

 

 

Also Good (The Cheat)

The General, 1926

Aparajito, 1956

Through a Glass Darkly, 1961

The Godfather, 1972

The Bad News Bears, 1976

Rivers and Tides, 2001

School of Rock, 2003

Sweetgrass, 2009

Mr. Turner, 2014

Roma, 2018

2 comments:

  1. So much yes on Silent Light. Dammit, now I have to rethink my own ballot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Au Hasard Balthazar might be Bresson's greatest film. But I was so shattered by it (when I saw it with you at the Nuart) that I've never been able to bring myself to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete